HOW MUCH DO YOU DRINK PER DAY???
The cornerstone of obesity treatment is lifestyle modification, which involves implementing dietary, exercise and behavioral changes. An intake of an additional 500 - 1000 calories per day induces a weight gain of 1 -2 pounds per week. Consumption of high caloric beverages is a main culprit in weight gain in America.
Check out the calories in some of these commonly consumed beverages:
- Cola (20 oz) - 240 calories, 65 gm carbohydrates
- Orange juice (8 oz) - 110 calories, 26 gm carbohydrate
- Starbucks white chocolate mocha - 470 calories, 63 gm carbohydrates (size-Grande, 2% milk)
- Starbucks cafe latte - 190 calories, 18 gm carbohydrates (size-Grande, 2% milk)
- Sweetened iced tea (12 oz) - 116 calories, 22 gm carbohydrate
- Vitamin water (20 oz) - 125 calories, 32 gm carbohydrate
- White or Red wine (5 oz) - 100 calories
- Beer (12 oz) - 150 calories
- Rum and cola (12 oz) - 361 calories
- Orange juice and vodka (7 oz) - 208 calories
- Mudslide (12 oz) - 820 calories WOW!!!
How many additional calories do you consume from high caloric beverages??
Let's do the math!
Cafe latte in the morning
20 oz Cola in the afternoon
8 oz White wine in the evening
580 calories per day equates to an additional 4,060 calories per week or 16,240 calories per month. Avoid these extra calories by choosing beverages with less than 5gm of carbohydrate per serving.
Drink Responsibility - Try these lower calorie beverages!
- Diet/Zero Sodas
- Crystal Light
- Diet Snapple
- Unsweeteded Tea or Coffee
- Skim Milk
- Unsweetened Vanilla Rice or Soy Milk
- Alcohol is high in calories - Drink in moderation. Alcohol has 7 calories/gram, almost as much as fat (9 calories/gram).